Friday, March 07, 2008

Disconnect

I realized something as I drove to school this evening. I don't have road rage per se, because I'm not really aware of what I'm saying. There's a disconnect between what's going on in my brain and what comes out of my mouth. It's like my mouth is on auto-pilot.

I was stuck behind two cars at a light that had just turned green, and I guess they were too slow for me (I was running a little late).

They finally moved, and as I started forward, I heard the echo of the words I had just said:

"C'mon motherfuckers...I mean...Jesus Christ!"

No wonder my daughter can swear like a sailor denied shore leave.
She learned it (inadvertently) from me!

How do I change this behavior, when most of the time I'm not even aware of it? I shudder to think of giving someone a ride in my car, they'll have a whole new (most likely unfavorable) impression of me.

Any suggestions?

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

My favorite expletive to scream while driving? "Mother pusbucket!"

:-) It's not TECHNICALLY cursing...

Christina RN LMT said...

"Fudge buckets" is good, too! I really want to stop it all completely. All the driving I do is stressful enough as it is in the crazy traffic we have here, I want to tone down the ranting if I can.

Mark said...

I finally learned to restrain my comments to the little pedal on the right people USE IT!! My kids think it's hilarious.

Christina RN LMT said...

I think I'll start saying, "Man, I really, really love you!" Or something to that effect. A friend of mine blows kisses to people, since she's a beautiful blond in her early twenties, the other drivers usually only laugh.
Thanks for the tip!

phlegmfatale said...

I was driving on the tollway, talking to my mom on the phone (hands-free!) last week when someone veered over the line and into my lane, nearly hitting me. Just then, right in the middle of the sentence I was saying to my mom I blurted "get the fuck out of the way!" OMG. Mortification. Yes, must learn to govern tongue!

Christina RN LMT said...

LOL!

It's automatic, isn't it? And really useless, when you think about it, since the other driver can't hear you.

At least my middle finger has fallen into disuse since last summer, so that's SOME improvement...