Thursday, June 03, 2010

Not quite, Harley!

My pup Harley LOVES kittens. He loves our newest kittens so much, he eagerly enters their new home (an old dog crate I fixed up for them) frequently to sniff and lick the babies. Momma Cat is very laid back, this doesn't appear to bother her at all.

Yesterday, however, I was holding one of the kittens who objected loudly to this indignity. He wanted his mommy and he wanted her NOW. His squeaking immediately drew Harley's attention, and Harley started nudging and nipping at the kit.

Every nudge and nip was accompanied by the kitten squeaking even more loudly, and I could see the situation escalating rapidly...Harley thought the kitten was one of his Very Favorite Things: a squeaky toy!

Not exactly, my pup.

Harley distracted, kitten rescued, disaster averted.

9 comments:

Sevesteen said...

I grew up with a golden retriever named Tilly. A few years later, I got a kitten. We would often find the kitten between Tilly's front paws, sopping wet being washed, and purring.

Christina RN LMT said...

Awwww...that's awesome! And I love your new avatar, too. :)

Old NFO said...

That could have gotten out of hand 'quickly' Good save Christina!

Christina RN LMT said...

Yeah, I was concerned there for a moment, Old NFO!

On a Wing and a Whim said...

Whew. I was seeing a bloody dog nose there for a moment...

Christina RN LMT said...

Heh. Momma would have certainly intervened if I had not, Wing. The kitten doesn't even have its eyes open yet. :D

Buck said...

Oooh... that COULD have been ug-leee. Nice save.

Christina RN LMT said...

Thanks, Buck. Harley really is a sweetheart, but he just got SO excited.

Suldog said...

I, too, saw a clawed nose coming at some point. Glad it didn't happen.