Thursday, March 25, 2010

Is my iPod trying to tell me something?

I have 422 songs on my iPod Nano. I have them on shuffle, since I like to mix things up.

EVERY TIME I've worked out in the past week or so, "What a Way to Wanna Be" by Shania Twain has played at some point during my exercise routine. Here are the lyrics:

I don't wanna wear that
It only makes me look fat
Time to tone my thighs-- gotta lose another size, yeah!
What a way to wanna be

Exfoliate--look great!
Feel guilty 'bout what you ate
You're buyin' all the books--
to learn the latest looks, yeah
What a way to wanna be

We like to buy, we like to spend,
to keep up with the latest trend
But we don't get no satisfaction
living like a slave to fashion
No more thinking for yourself,
just get it off a shelf

[Chorus:]
Oh, why be perfect? No,
it's not worth it!
Don't be so obsessed--c'mon give it a rest
This is not some contest--just do your best
'Cause nobody's perfect!
What a way to wanna be

Moisturize, exercise, erase the
rings around your eyes
Cover what you can,
get a Coppertone tan, yeah
What a way to wanna be!

Stabilize the mood you're in--
you're back on diet food again
Bigger is the best, but only
in the chest, yeah!
What a way to wanna be

We like to buy, we like to spend,
to keep up with the latest trend
But we don't get no satisfaction
living like a slave to fashion
No more thinking for yourself,
just get it off a shelf

[Repeat Chorus]

It's so very--unnecessary
Yeah, how insane--to be so vain
It's so synthetic--I just don't get it
I don't get it, baby, yeah, yeah

Don't be so obsessed--c'mon give it a rest
This is not some contest--just do your best
'Cause no--oh body's perfect!

[Repeat Chorus]



Not the true video, of course. You can't find those on youtube!

Now, I certainly wouldn't call myself obsessed with being perfect, since perfection is impossible to achieve. I do however believe that there's always room for improvement. So I'll continue to work out as much as I can, and Shania and this song can go to HELL!

10 comments:

Old NFO said...

:-) Somebody or 'something' trying to tell you to keep on working out... :-)

Miz Minka said...

That's just too weird to be a mere coincidence. :)

Christina RN LMT said...

Minka, I KNOW!!!

Anonymous said...

Okay call me slow but why can Shania and this song go to hell? I understand that she is talking about keeping up with the Jones' but she is also saying be the best that you can. So what am I not getting here?

What I gather from the whole song is to be true to yourself and screw everyone else.


Shurgs apparently my meds haven't kicked in yet..


AP

P.S. As far as I'm concerned Shania has been able to go to hell since I was about 16. I haven't listened to her music in years because of what my dad came home and did. He was driving cross country and Shania had a shoot in Florida. My dad and her drivers ended up traveling the same road and her drivers where talking of how big of a bitch she was. She was doing a shoot for the song........shit I don't recall the exact name.......anyway she had asked for the kids to sing back up and she was cussing, yelling, and treating them like shit. It pissed her roadies off very much and my dad ended up on the receiving end of that conversation. To the extent that he came home and trashed every tape, poster, cd and Tshirt that had her name on it. I think the song is God Bless the Children or something like that.

Buck said...

So... here I was all ready to nod my head north-south in a vigorous manner and post something like "You GO, Girl" and then I get to "...and Shania and this song can go to HELL!"

OK. I AM confused. But that's nuthin' new... I tend to stay that way.

Christina RN LMT said...

*sigh*

Obviously I didn't make myself clear. Something that prolly happens quite frequently, but you are all too kind to point out.

What I meant was, if I *am* a wee bit obsessed with fitness, etc., and the song is coming on to tell me to take it easy, not get so uptight about it, FUCK IT. See? Making more sense now? I hope so.

I totally agree with the message of the song in general. Obviously I like it, or it wouldn't be on my iPod to begin with!

In other news, I worked out for an hour today and no Shania! The streak is broken!

Anonymous said...

One, who's shaniqua, and two, you look great, which is just another reason I can't get a massage.

D

Christina RN LMT said...

LOL, "Anonymous"! Thank you, Sir.

Shania? You know, Shania Twain? The big-time country star?

Buck said...

See? Making more sense now? I hope so.

Yup. Thanks. I needed that. ;-)

Christina RN LMT said...

LOL @ Buck! Don't tell me it's that Oldtimers creeping in! :D