Friday, March 05, 2010

D'oh!

Take heed and learn from my egregious example: It rarely pays to lie!

There's a nice Hispanic lady named Gloria who comes by the chiro office every Friday, selling tamales, burritos, or (like today) enchiladas out of her truck. The food's not that great, and she's EXPENSIVE, but every once in a while, I feel bad so I'll shell out the dough and buy food I don't really want.

My boss had reached his own personal limit, and when he saw her coming through the tinted windows of the practice, darted into his office while tossing, "I'm not here!" over his shoulder.

Gloria guilted me into buying the truly mediocre, overpriced enchiladas, then she asked, "Dr. *Chiro* not here?" I shook my head and said, "No"...right before my boss, not hearing MY answer and feeling guilty about hiding while Gloria was asking for him, strode out of his office to greet her.

OH. MY. GOD.

I was so unbelievably embarrassed, and I knew my face was turning fiery red. I quickly blurted, "Doctor! There you are!" as if that was going to fool anyone.

Boy, lesson learned. After Gloria had left, I threatened to throttle my boss, and I told him I'd never, ever lie for him again. I also decided never to purchase anything from Gloria again, because she'll probably spit (or worse!) into my food.

Sheesh, try to help a guy out, and all you get is humiliation and heartburn from bad enchiladas!

11 comments:

Home on the Range said...

At least he didn't hack your email to see where else you might want to buy your burritoes.

Christina RN LMT said...

This is very true, my dear!

Old NFO said...

The truth always works... not often LIKED, but always works... sigh...

Christina RN LMT said...

I know, I know. I echo your *sigh*...

Alan said...

Repeat after me:

"No thank you."


See? Not that hard. :D

Christina RN LMT said...

Alan, I'll try. She's just so pathetic, and the checks are always made out to her husband, so I picture her all downtrodden...I'm too nice with too vivid an imagination.

SCI-FI said...

re: lying: Oh, man. The polite lie to help someone out comes back and bites you in the butt. If I had a dime for every time that's ever happened...

I've learned, sadly, to just play dumb. (Not much of a stretch, actually. :) ) "Is he here? Beats me."

re: buying the food: Alan is right. "No Thank you."

Home on the Range said...

Seriously, has anyone else had their Google mail hacked like Holly did. Mine's OK, but another reader mentioned yesterday their account was compromised.

Holly ended up having to open a new blog address.

I'm careful about opening SPAM but don't know if that's what caused it.

Christina RN LMT said...

Good idea, SCI-FI...I'll just shrug my shoulders and look helpless!

Brigid, Silver had hers hacked a little over a year ago, but managed to get it back. We both reset our passwords to something much more difficult and obscure, and have had no problems since. Sorry for you and your friend, though. That truly sucks.

Buck said...

Oooh... that sucks, Big Time. Your boss owes ya sumthin' here. Like a nice dinner somewhere that does GOOD enchiladas.

Christina RN LMT said...

Buck, I'll mention it to him...:)