Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Comes First!

If you're like most people I know, you are sick, sick, SICK of all the Christmas schlock being peddled before the smoke from the last Labor Day barbecue has fully dissipated. My friend Jim makes his case very eloquently as to why this practice needs to be stopped. Not by meddling with legislation or anything silly like that, but by making our disgust with this practice, and our desire for some respect for the holidays, known.

Post about it.

Link to his post.

Google "Thanksgiving Comes First".

Patronize merchants like Nordstrom, who don't decorate for Christmas until after Thanksgiving, and boycott those who do (if possible, of course). Write letters to corporate headquarters!

Spread the word, basically, that Christmas should mean more than being able to buy tinsel along with your Halloween costume.

Thanks.

Photobucket

Besides, anyone who digs Mr. Rogers is more than okay in my book and deserves support. :)

13 comments:

Blondefabulous said...

You said it! I tweeted a photo a few weeks ago from inside my near by Wall to Wall Mart where they were putting Christmas decore up!!In October! WTF???

Suldog said...

Thanks, Christina! That was quick! You're the best!

Stingray said...

Fuck the whole flaming ball of fail.

SCI-FI said...

Worst I ever saw was a local chain displaying Christmas trees with their Back-to-School wares. Yes, nothing like getting into the Christmas spirit... in August.

Stingray said...

Sci-Fi: How 'bout in July?

Old NFO said...

Excellent post and totally agree!

SCI-FI said...

Stingray-
Yup. Selling Christmas decorations in July counts as Epic Fail.
And as for your eloquent rant, I haven't heard such cussing since - ironically enough - the last time I helped my dad set up his Christmas tree.

Dave (aka Buckskins Rule) said...

I was utterly appalled to find Christmas decorations in Lowe's toward the end of September.

Sheesh...

Christina RN LMT said...

Blondie, it's disgusting, isn't it?
I'm so fed up with that bullshit.

Jim, you are most welcome, my friend!

Stingray, you realize that I utterly adore you, right? Almost as much as I adore your wife. :D

I have to confess, though...I do love Christmas music. *ducks for cover*
The closest I've come to a religious experience was performing Rutter's "Magnificat" with the Las Vegas Philharmonic a few years ago. And I've come close a few other times in the past, usually while singing religious music, generally at Christmas. It's visceral, and probably left-over early-childhood programming.

SCI-FI, Old NFO, Buckskins Rule, I'm glad to see we're all on the same page...now you bloggers get busy! LOL

Chris said...

We actually bypass Thanksgiving altogether and move from Halloween directly to Christmas. And it does start arriving in August.

Christina RN LMT said...

Why bother even taking decorations down? What happened to autumn? *sigh*

Zelda said...

My daughters are more disgusted by it than anyone I know. And they came to the conclusion on their own without any prompting from me. And if I could just shill for Nordstroms for a second, they are an awesome store. Even without the early decorating, they have been the one store I've gotten consistently above and beyond good service.

Christina RN LMT said...

Zelda, your daughters ROCK.
And I must make a confession: I don't think I've ever even been inside a Nordstroms.