Sunday, November 09, 2008

Las Vegas Marching Band Invitational

Yesterday I spent most of the day at Las Vegas High School, home of the LVI Marching Band Competition. Silver's band actually made it to the finals, and one of the band parents filmed their finals performance and posted it on youtube. First off let me say that their progress over the past four years has been incredible. The band of my daughter's high school has NEVER received a "superior" rating at LVI before (that's the highest rating you can get, for you non-band-geeks), so the fact that this happened at Silver's final competition is awesome. Unfortunately, though they finished third in their class, they finished last in the finals overall. While watching the youtube footage I heard some squeaks, so maybe the judges came down on them for that, but c'mon, SIX POINTS DIFFERENCE in score from the prelims to the finals?! What bug crawled up the judges' collective ass, anyway?!
I'm breaking one of my own rules and posting the youtube footage here on my blog, even though my daughter's school is identified. I just want to share and show how hard she's worked during this season. Good job, Silver! She plays clarinet, in case you didn't know! Here ya go:

8 comments:

Buck said...

Good on Silver, regardless of the final outcome! I couldn't pick her out in the vid, tho. (BIG grin!)

Apropos of nothing... I used to be married to a clarinet player (The First Mrs. Pennington), whose chief claim to fame is she marched in JFK's inaugural parade as a member of the Lompoc (California) High School marching band. Yeah, she's OLD.

(not me, though... TFMP was a certified cradle-robber.) ;-)

Christina RN LMT said...

Thanks, Buck!

Yeah, the camera has to be far enough away to pick up all (or most) of the action on the field, so it's hard to pick out individuals!

Wow, what a memory for TFMP, that's fantastic!
And, no, YOU'RE not OLD...just well preserved...;)

Blondefabulous said...

Hooray! Congrats to Silver and her Bandmates! I bet they were awesome! ( My comp won't play the video.) I remember cool fall nights and going to band competition, sitting in the stands and watching our fellow bands compete. I don't know if you guys are close out there, but we were close enough to the other bands in the circuit that we knew kids from all over and would root for each other!

phlegmfatale said...

That's fantastic! Congrats to Silver and the band for making the finals. The vid brought back a lot of memories for me. The music was great, and they produce an impressive amount of sound for a band that size. I'm proud of her and of them, and I'm proud for you, Christina! What a big way to finish a band career. Alas, my band peaked my sophomore year, and it was a little disappointing to feel like we always fell short after that. Good to finish on a big , big high. YAYS!

Christina RN LMT said...

Blondie, no audience appreciates a band performing like another marching band! All the cheering you can hear on the video (and so sorry you can't watch it) is from Sierra Vista and Coronado High Schools' respective bands. And yes, a lot of the band members know kids on other bands, so they do root for them, but there are some bitter rivalries, too.

Thanks, Phleggmy! I'll pass on your kudos to Silver, toute de suite!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Silver!!!! Great job! I love marching band competitions.

Christina RN LMT said...

Thanks, kvegas! I'll let her know. Glad to know I'm not the only band geek out there!

Chocolate said...

Sorry for the random comments...
but, hee! I was there! I was in that band.

The flute player who completely screwed up the swirl during first movement. O.o oops.

Lol, I'm happy that we're getting some recognition, however small it may be.