Monday, February 04, 2019

Overheard on the Cancer Ward

So, after having a *ahem* firm discussion with Eeyore* over the phone about why my patient, who's likely perfed his bowel, can't come to the radiology department for STAT portable x-rays, she finally shows up, and the following conversation takes place.

Me (joking while piling on the lead-lined gear, as I'm needed to hold the plate behind the patient for a specific view of the abdomen.):

"Meh, I get more radiation flying on a plane...and I'm almost fifty, I'm done having babies!"

Eeyore (seriously):

"You could always get cancer..."

Really? You don't say?  You realize that this is the oncology unit?! And we're in a room with a patient who was just diagnosed with lymphoma, a tumor of which likely punched a hole in his bowel about an hour ago...? And I'm an oncology nurse, who handles (carefully!) chemotherapy agents almost every shift?

Ugh. Some people.



*AKA the morose overnight x-ray tech

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

It takes all kinds... sigh

Lissa said...

Just finished my first clinical shift on an Oncology floor. I thought I'd find it depressing or at least sad, but it was so much more enjoyable than my first rotation at Assisted Living that I had a fantastic day. And the Accu-Vein thingy!! It's like having X-ray vision like Superman! How COOL is that!?!?

Christina RN LMT said...

Old NFO, you are right! And almost always, that's a very good thing. But in this case... ;)

Lissa, welcome to the Greatest Profession (in my not-so-humble opinion!).
Accu-Vein? What is this of which you speak?! I must do some research...

Lissa said...

Accu-Vein!! https://www.accuvein.com/products/catalog-2/accuvein-hf470-wheeled-stand/

My RN wheeled it over to the bedside, arranged the wand over the patient's antecubital fossa, and turned it on. And it was like turning into Superman: under the red light, you could see the whole roadmap of veins! Like, pulsing! It was amazing!!

Angel charls said...

yes
this is a great post to encourage to all of us
I think to know more about it you shoud go here.