Saturday, May 05, 2007

No, thanks.

Today, in addition to Cinco de Mayo, also happens to be FREE COMIC BOOK DAY!!!!
Geeks of the world, rejoice!

However, as I was leaving the always excellent Maximum Comics, I was accosted by a woman who really, really, wanted me to buy some of the supposed designer perfume she was selling out of the trunk of her car.

She was very persistent and annoying, and when I finally convinced her that, yes, I was serious about NOT buying perfume from her, moved her focus to my fifteen-year-old daughter and started the same spiel.
Silver, being in some ways smarter than her mother, simply ignored the wench and got in the car.

Why, oh why, is it so hard for me to be rude?

Sometimes it would make life so much easier.

I actually do have plenty of backbone where telemarketers are concerned. Compared to my early twenties, where I was polite and actually would have a conversation with them, I now simply say that I'm on the do-not-call list and tell them never to call again. Then I hang up.

Maybe I need to do some daily affirmation, a la Stuart Smalley.

Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

2 comments:

Sonja said...

I've started to always pretend I'm on the phone when I walk out of Target. That way, I won't be accosted to sign another dumb petition or to donate money to the Salvation Army (yes, I'm coldhearted that way).

Christina RN LMT said...

Very clever, though!
I've never had that problem at my local Target. Hmmm, maybe it's not allowed here?