Friday, May 22, 2009

Freaked my dogs out!

I have quite the eclectic (read: WEIRD) collection of music on my iPod. What I didn't realize is that I had Rutter's Magnificat on there. I used to be a member of the Las Vegas Master Singers, and we performed this work with the Las Vegas Philharmonic in December of...crap, was it '03? Time flies and all that.

ANYWAY.

I haven't performed or really even sung much since then, and certainly my dogs have never heard me sing much out loud. Maybe a bit of singing along to a song here or there while doing housework.

So as I was coming home from the gym today, the first movement from Rutter's Magnificat was playing, and I started singing along, full bore. Of course, in the car I only have one earbud in, but as I was walking to my apartment, I had both in and was singing all-out, not caring that I was scaring pigeons and the occasional landscaper. I sing first soprano, I might add.

As I entered the apartment, I was belting out "beatam" from around 4:05...



My dogs initially commenced their customary psycho happy dance, jumping all around and mobbing me, but as I continued singing until the end of the piece, at full volume, they stopped and sat in the middle of the living room floor, watching me attentively, and slightly apprehensively, probably wondering what the fuck I was going to do next: Will she explode? Who will give us treats then? NO MORE BACON?!? WE OBJECT!!!

I finished singing and had to laugh at their expressions. Wish I'd had my camera handy! Hey, at least they didn't start whining, like they do when Silver practices her clarinet!

It felt good to sing, really sing, again. I wish I had more time to join a group, but that kind of commitment is a lot like taking on another job, and I just can't right now. In any case, I know I have "Magnificat" on my iPod, and my dogs will just have to deal with my singing along while I fold laundry later, and my bathroom really needs cleaning, and the floors, too, for that matter...

6 comments:

Mad Saint Jack said...

You could try being a singing masseuse. Got to have a way to stand out in the market.

Blondefabulous said...

At least they were attentive, unlike the audience at my daughter's Music Concert last night.

Sigh.

Christina RN LMT said...

M.S.J., I heard while I was attending school about a male therapist who'd sing opera while giving massages!

Blondie, last night was my daughter's final band concert! The audience behaved much better than usual. Thank goodness!

Buck said...

Ummm... I might have reacted in the same manner as your puppehs, given my eclecticism in music doesn't extend as far afield as yours.

Just sayin'. :D

10% said...

They were probably wondering why you were signing about the great magnifi-CAT.

Christina RN LMT said...

Buck...*lol*!

10%, I never even thought of that...!