Sunday, May 31, 2009

Down but not out.

Yesterday I headed over to the Rio again, to pit myself against all the other therapists vying for massage clients. After over two hours of circling, circling, like a vulture over the dying body of a wildebeest, I gave up and went home. Sheesh, do I smell? Not that anyone could distinguish my B.O. (had I any!) from the miasma already present. Am I that ugly? Too old? Boobs too small?

I know that that really has nothing to do with it. But it's hard not to feel discouraged and rejected when you see other therapists massaging people at tables you recently approached. And it's even more difficult as time passes and you see the same therapists getting services, over and over again, when you can't even manage to get one stinkin' client. I know that many of these "popular" therapists are just that: popular. They've been working at WSOP for years, and the players know them and look specifically for them. Still, doesn't change how I feel.

Well, I'm changing my game plan. Instead of heading over to the Rio at 7PM (when the tournament players break for dinner, anyway!), I'll go there in the middle of the night, say 2 or 3 AM, and work until it's time for me to go to my "real" job. Most of the other therapists will have gone home by them, and the remaining players will be tired and sore and ready for massage! Hopefully I'll be able to do some massages and make some money.

Next week I start my fourth job, but it'll only be four hours a week. I'll be filling in for my chiropractor's massage therapist who's going to be on maternity leave. I'm really looking forward to this opportunity, since I've never done massage in the chiropractic setting before. It's very different from the spa, and it'll be nice to broaden my scope and get more experience.

Seeing as I'll be moving to Texas by the end of the year/beginning of 2010, it's good that I'll have more stuff to put on my resume...;)

10 comments:

HollyB said...

That sounds like a good plan. You have GOOD problem solving skills. Be sure to let us know how it works.

Christina RN LMT said...

Don't worry, Holly! I'll be sure to keep you all updated...:)

Roismhaire said...

You're putting me to shame. You work SO hard. I don't think I could go to work at 2 a.m. Hope you like the chiros office!

Buck said...

I agree with Holly... your new WSOP plan rings true. Good luck with it!

Christina RN LMT said...

Roismhaire...you own your OWN BUSINESS! How can I compete with that? I'm only doing what's necessary to survive. I can't wait to get out of this town, to a place where it's not a requirement that I doll myself up to do massage. I mean, really? Is it that important to wear lipstick? Does it make me more effective as a therapist to wear eyeshadow? Hmph.

Thank you, Buck! I hope it all works out as I planned. :)

Dave (aka Buckskins Rule) said...

When the chips are down, my favorite axiom is "this too shall pass".

I've found life to be a lot easier since I quit sweating the small shit.

Christina RN LMT said...

Buckskins Rule, I've discovered, like you, that life is far too short to worry about the small stuff. It's nice to go with the flow sometimes, isn't it?

Julie said...

so how did the new approach pan out? i certainly hope it was successful!

Leslie said...

Wow... 4 jobs? Holy Croly! I guess I'm lucky that I totally make enough with my one massage job. Although, I do work 6 days a week at time. Good luck at the Chiros office. It's a whole lot easier there.

Christina RN LMT said...

Julie, I haven't implemented the new plan yet. It goes into effect Thursday night/Friday morning. I draw the line at working three different jobs in one day, and I've had to do my regular shift at my main job and the New York-New York. :)

Leslie, I'm happy that everything is working out for you! I'm glad I can help my chiro out and make money and gain experience at the same time.