Friday, January 06, 2023

Ask not for whom the cock crows...

...because it crows for you.

Or not.

Dear unknown neighbor who owns a rooster who likes to cock-a-doodle-do between 2 and 4 AM every blessed day:

1. You live in the downtown area of a major metropolitan city. Are you even zoned to own livestock?

2. Your cock suffers from premature crowing, you might want to look into that. I'm sure there's a treatment.

3. Speaking of treatment, you need to consider making chicken and dumplings tout de suite, because your rooster is going off half-cocked, shall we say. 

Yes, yes, I know I work nights, but that's only three nights a week. On other days, I revert to a "normal" schedule, and like to be peacefully snoozing during the time of (your) cock's crow.

Thank you, that is all.

2 comments:

Glypto Dropem said...

I can't imagine needing to have a rooster in an urban setting. I have one to control the flock in the free range yard and to hopefully fight off predators and don't do any breeding. I live in a rural area and my neighbors also have roosters. Mine crows during the day when he feels like it, but doesn't start until the lights in the coop go on at 05:15 AM. During power failures he doesn't make noise until actual sunrise. When he alarms during the day I will grab my rifle and look out to see what he's making noise about. A couple of times there was a hawk perched in the tree nearby, but it flies away when I open the door. I won't take a shot at a hawk. Ground critter however....

Christina RN LMT said...

You know, it wasn't until AFTER I posted this that I considered cock fighting as a reason to own a rooster in a very urban setting. I mean, it's certainly a popular "sport" in the South West, albeit an illegal one.