Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Save me!

I'm studying for my Nursing Ethics final, which is online and available in two hours (I'll be taking it tomorrow morning after a good night's sleep), and I came across this gem in my textbook:

Earth health and human health are intricately interconnected, and nurses need to include ethical considerations of our relationship with Earth into nursing practice. Twenty-first century health care needs and issues require global consciousness.

I guess I need to go sky-clad and and consult with Gaia before I give someone some Tylenol or insulin.
(Oh, SHIT...that was culturally insensitive!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who's culture?

One (wo)man's culture is another's cult.

Guess I agree with you...

gfa

Anonymous said...

So I guess they're going to the British example of only changing bandages and bed sheets once a month?

Gary

Christina RN LMT said...

I don't think I've ever facepalmed or headdesked as much as I have during this ethics class. Especially while reading the textbook. I generally keep my mouth shut, since I do have a year left to go before graduation, but I did actually butt heads with my professor on gun control, however. :D

Peter said...

I dare you to take the exam skyclad.

;-)

Anonymous said...

OK, I can see "thinking globally" when you have a patient with something that looks like, oh, say malaria, that SARS-thing from Southwest Asia, a hemorrhagic fever, or plague, showing up in New England. But "Earth health?" These authors have waaay too much time on their hands.

Would you like a copy of "Unstoppable Global Warming (Every 1500 Years)" to leave laying around? It's a great book about solar cycles and climatology. And it uses real data!

LittleRed1

Christina RN LMT said...

Peter, it's FAR too cold to do that, sorry (yes, even inside the house...) ;)

LittleRed1, I agree with you about the global thinking with regards to certain infectious diseases and parasites, especially when you live in an area with such a huge influx of world travelers and immigrants, but that's also thoroughly covered in other classes in nursing school. Not so appropriate in an ethics class, I would think! The book you mention sounds fascinating, I'll go look for it on Amazon and/or the library. Thanks!

Aesop said...

YouTube, or it didn't happen.