Sunday, July 08, 2012

New Weight-loss Strategy

I confess: ever since my lap-band was deflated/emptied, I've struggled with even maintaining my weight, much less losing it. (Obvious, when you think about it-I had the surgery for a reason!)

While the Hunger Games are working to a degree, I've been frustrated by repeated setbacks, and the up-coming weigh-in is sure to be painful, AGAIN.

But yesterday I had a brilliant insight. Most of my unneeded and unwanted calories come at night, after I'm supposed to be done with eating for the day. I get the munchies, basically, and it's hard for me to resist the urge to nom. While I don't eat anything crappy, the calories add up regardless. So, last night, after I finished dinner, I went ahead and did my normal bedtime routine hours early, which includes PUTTING IN MY RETAINER. I can't eat with my retainer in, and it's a gross pain-in-the-ass to take it out if I did decide to have anything to munch on. Success! Not only did I not snack, I ended up drinking plenty of water, just to fill up my belleh. So I hydrated, too!

We'll see how this goes, but I'm encouraged. Trying to lose weight is fucking hard, people.

5 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

Night calories are the WORST, as when you fall asleep your metabolism crashes, so any calories in your system get stored up for future famine that hopefully never will happen.

My late-night snack of choice is air-popped popcorn, its mostly fiber so it fills me up without too much waist-expanding calories.

This time of year the cucumbers are so fresh and good, and they have virtually no calories but are VERY filling, so a cuke cut into spears with salt is also a good choice.

Your idea is a good one too, but consider these options if the cravings become too much.

Options are good!

Old NFO said...

Good for you Christine! Working out a fix, and then sticking with it is always a positive step!!!

Anonymous said...

I was told to eat raw carrots and leafs of lettuce. It is hard and I commend you for keeping it up. I need to hydrate more myself but I don't have time to run to the bathroom every five minutes and I think my boss would frown if I put a diaper on for work. LOL I try to make up for it on my days off but I don't get as much in as I should. Hopefully though that is going to change starting the week of the 23rd because a branch of the gym I use is opening up in town and no more having to drive to Gainesville. Keep up the good work ma'am!!!
AP

phlegmfatale said...

very smart! Maybe I'll start putting my retainers in early, too, except when DRINKIES!

Suldog said...

Smart. I do something similar, actually. I take out my denture (I only have a lower that's removable) and brush and clean it every night before going to bed, so it's ready to pop in come morning. If I want something to eat (well, beyond pudding, anyway...) I have to pop it back in, then clean it again afterwards. It has worked more than once to keep me off the feedbag late at night.