Friday, September 25, 2009

Yet another pet peeve.

Hypocrisy of parents who make their kids wear bicycle helmets, but don't wear them themselves. What kind of message are you sending your kids? That's about as asinine as buckling your baby into a car seat, but not wearing your seatbelt!

"Oh, wear the helmet to protect your skull, but once you turn 18, who gives a fuck anymore?!"

Oh, and if you do put a helmet on your kid's head, make sure it fits properly and covers the fucking forehead, okay, Moron? You know, the part of the skull most likely to hit the pavement if your precious babe goes over the handlebars? Wearing a helmet so loosely that it slips back and forth is useless.

Christina's rant and public service announcement of the day.

8 comments:

Captain Tightpants said...

These are the same ones that tell their kids it's wrong to smoke & drink while they puff on a Marlboro & down another six-pack...

Christina RN LMT said...

Yup. Do as I say, not as I do.

Buck said...

One wonders how us geezers managed to survive our childhoods, what with not having bicycle helmets, "child-proof" monkey bars, and being free to run all over God's Green Earth at all times of day. OTOH, I feel sorry for kids today. Srsly.

Christina RN LMT said...

Me, too, Buck. BUT, if you're going to follow the rules (or law, in some instances), be consistent, is what I'm saying.
I made my kids wear their bike helmets (correctly!), and in one case, this proved useful. I didn't find out about this until years later, but Silver rode her bike into a tree, headfirst. I dunno what the outcome would have been without the helmet...

dick said...

Bicycle helmets are the devil. I refused to make my kid wear them as he was growing up, even though there was a city ordnance saying he had to wear one.

Christina RN LMT said...

Dick, really? The devil? I didn't know that! Honestly, though...if they are worn incorrectly (as most of them seem to be), they are worse than useless.

Ed Miller said...

I don't see it as hypocritical.

Riding EXPERIENCE makes all the difference!

Think training wheels: We insist on them until the child is CAPABLE of handling the bike without them.

Same can be said for helmets.

- pupista! (barking mad on the right)

Christina RN LMT said...

Hmmm, I can ALMOST see your point, but accidents happen regardless of age, and head meeting pavement? Without a helmet you have a smashed melon.

When I worked as a CNA at a rehab hospital, we had a middle-aged lady as one of our patients who was basically a vegetable on a ventilator. She had had a bike accident and hit her head on the curb...