Thursday, May 14, 2009

*whew*!

On our way back from getting Silver's weekly allergy shots, I suddenly heard a "whoop-whoop" and with a sinking heart saw the flashing lights in my rear-view mirror.

I had been talking with a friend on my cell, and though it's not illegal (yet) in Nevada to have a phone conversation while driving, I still abruptly ended the call and literally threw my cell at Silver while barking, "Here, hold this," as I pulled over to the side of the road.

I'd also been driving through a school zone, but knew I hadn't been speeding. (Anyone who speeds through a school zone should be drawn and quartered, at the very least.)

I rolled my window down as I turned to face the officer, who btw. looked like he didn't even need to shave yet. Officer Howser, I presume?

Then I heard the dreaded question..."Do you know why I pulled you over?"

*gulp*

"No, Sir."

"You have a brake light that's out."

D'oh!

Luckily, after checking my license and insurance info, the kindly officer let us go on our way with a warning.

My customary auto place was on our way home, and $11.80 and 15 minutes later, the threat of a ticket was once again a distant, looming thing, as opposed to a sharp, immediate one!

I always DID like Doogie Howser...;)

7 comments:

Blondefabulous said...

Oh man! Time to go hands free and check your tail lights regularly!

HollyB said...

Yeah, the Po-leese aren't always the bad guys when they pull you over.
And that scruffy face? Probably the closest he can get to a beard w/o breaking regulations.

Christina RN LMT said...

Blondie, you're not the first person to advise me of that...I think I'll follow that advice, too!

Holly, I was very relieved when I didn't get a ticket! He still looked young enough to be Silver's prom date.

Home on the Range said...

Glad that worked out. I haven't ever had a ticket but it wasn't for lack of trying when I was younger. :-)

Buck said...

Well... all's well that ends well! I need to find a big-ass mirror somewhere so's I can back up to it and check MY brake lights. It's hard to do that sort of thing when you fly solo.

Christina RN LMT said...

Exactly, Buck! I guess while I still have Silver around, I should ask her to check periodically for me. But I can also just ask the security dude at our employee parking to check. That's actually a good idea, one that never occurred to me before!

Christina RN LMT said...

Brigid, I've received two tickets (*sigh*), one I felt unjustified and one I definitely earned. Now I'm extra, extra careful, since I don't want to add another one to my list of shame.