Sunday, September 28, 2008

Let's play "Twenty Questions!" NOT!!

I massaged a gentleman from Canada today who was very interested in quizzing me. I have no idea why. He first asked, just after the massage had begun, "What's the difference between Swedish and Sports Massage?"
Okay. If you schedule a massage, and don't know what's what, wouldn't you ask at that time, so you know what you're getting?
I answered his question, and not two minutes later, he continued with, "What's the fundamental difference between Thai Massage, Shiatsu, and Swedish Massage?"
I'm not kidding, that's the question he asked, verbatim!
Anyway, I did my best to explain the "fundamental" differences between the three modalities while continuing the massage.
I was just waiting for him to start asking me anatomy or pathology questions, but apparently his curiosity was satisfied.

Bastard didn't tip me, though.
Not really too surprised. I'm not trying to offend any Canadian readers I might have out there, but in my experience Canadians either tip not at all or very poorly. But they're really, really polite!

9 comments:

Blondefabulous said...

And of course you can't give a snarky comment like, "Well, it's kind of like the difference between an enema and a full colonic!" Sorry you didn't get tipped. You think he would have tipped extra for all the extra information!

Christina RN LMT said...

No snarky comments...at least not during the massage. It was a couple's massage, and my colleague was rolling his eyes at me! Too funny.
Honestly, I didn't expect a tip. Canadians...what can I say?
He was the only client not to tip me, so it really was a good day.

Chuck said...

Damn Canadians. Now I regret tipping so well when I was up there. Never again! I say. So, is there a difference between Thai and Shiatsu? Does the Thai come with a happy ending? I hear you can get those all over Bangkok...

Christina RN LMT said...

Shiatsu is Japanese, and the traditional Shiatsu is strictly the finger and thumb pressure down (or up) the meridian pathways of the body (these correspond to organ systems.) A lot of Shiatsu now incorporates stretching and "extra moves" (think no evil!) stolen from Thai massage. This is often called Zen Shiatsu. Thai massage is mostly stretching. It all feels good! Happy endings in Bangkok? Why am I not surprised? And why am I not surprised it's YOU, Chuck, bringing this subject up?
Don't dis the Canadians, either. Remember that they can get their insurance to pay for massage, so they consider it more of a medical thing. Hence the lack of tippage! Trust me, any therapist in Canada is going to be thrilled if he/she get's a tip!

Anonymous said...

I also have issues with Canadian customers. Either they spend great money or they are cheaper than any other client in Las Vegas. Go figure. The bad ones always outnumber the good ones 5 to 1 :(

Christina RN LMT said...

Summer, welcome! That's been my experience as well. Every once in a (great) while I'll get a Canadian client who's a good tipper, but they really are few and far between.

Anonymous said...

I'm a massage therapist in Canada and I RARELY get a tip if ever. I would say I get a tip maybe twice a year...that's it.

Christina RN LMT said...

Welcome, Anonymous! I feel for you, truly. Tips make up an enormous part of my income. I really couldn't make it here without them.
So, are any of your clients tourists? Or do you just have regulars?

Anonymous said...

Mostly regulars...people always say to me to move down to Vegas that I would make a killing if I massaged there...but I make pretty good money up here...pay a flat rent for my space...under $1000 a month...5 people a day at $60/massage 5 days a week...a really nice life and I'm not dying at the end of the day! :-) I can afford to get to Vegas once a year! lol