Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Saturday

Saturday it was that time again.

The Las Vegas Invitational High School Marching Band Competition (whew, too many caps!).

Silver's HS band did not win or place, AGAIN. It's so frustrating for the kids, and the staff I'm sure, because they've all been working so damn hard, hours of rehearsals several evenings a week, and most Saturdays, too.

Then to see (according to the *motherf'n* judges) no improvement, it's just heartbreaking.

Silver was talking about quitting band, but it was just her frustration talking, because she really loves it.

Except the stress, that she could do without.

Also, as a parent who's financially strapped and who wants to go to college herself, it's important to encourage Silver to continue activities which can net scholarships.

Sad, but true.

This was her third year of competing, and also my third time attending, but for the first time, there were Army recruiters there! They must be desperate...lol!

I did my usual handshake, thank-you thing, and they were appreciative. I shudder to think of some of the parents' reactions to their presence.

Well, that's it for me today, as it has been craptastic (I was both late arriving to work *first time EVAR*, and late leaving. I'm sure I'll hear about it tomorrow, oh well...) and it's time for me to massage Silver, she really needs it and she has another competition tomorrow night (the Half-time Show Review at Sam Boyd Stadium).

Take care, people!

5 comments:

Mauser*Girl said...

I don't think the recruiters' presence has anything to do with being "desparate".

Every so often, recruiting stations get new station commanders who like to decide recruiters need to be present at these sorts of things to support "their" high school and some such nonsense.

Trueman used to have to go to football games at his high schools (as a Reserve recruiter he doesn't have "one" high school) every Friday. The purpose was to "show his face and his support of the school".

Christina RN LMT said...

MG, it just struck me as funny, their being at a marching band competition, of all places!

There were bands from all over, too.
Arizona, California, Utah, New Mexico, and Bozeman (I think Montana, but I'm not positive, since the logos on their shirts were so small, I didn't want the kids to think I was staring pervily at their chests when I was really only trying to read the small print!)

Anonymous said...

Bertolt Brecht wrote "It's marching that makes you a soldier." And I think he stole it from Kipling.

Yes, reading small logos will get you into trouble. There ought to be a law, or better glasses.

phlegmfatale said...

I know it's got to be stressful to go to all that effort and not win (I was in a really tight military band when everyone was going corps, and we always won, but we worked our asses off), but now, twenty-some years later, what I remember is not the feeling of winning or the sheets of judges' comments, but the hot, sticky Texas nights we stood with our horns in the endzone, bugs flying around, waiting for the first half to end and for the Drum Major to lead us onto the field. I remember the long bus rides to Kennedale and Joshua, aw crap. I just realized I'm going to have to do a post on this. Maybe I'll even pony up a photo with me and my 80s hair. Yup. Yup.

Christina RN LMT said...

Yay! Can't wait.

Funny, now the judges walk around the field during the competition performances, talking into little tape recorders!